Recent Posts

Thomas The Accidental Gourmet

Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Dijon Swiss Chicken Sammich--You Can Dress Up Chicken

We're on a diet chez nous.

Which is to say, "I'm being supportive of my wife's efforts."

Or to put it another way, "Thomas is always hungry."

One thing about my wife. In college, she spent an entire summer eating cereal for breakfast and quesedillas for dinner. She would be content to eat the same thing every day. I, on the other hand, need some variety.

So lately, I'm on a mission to figure out as many interesting way to cook chicken as I can. I feel like Bubba on Forrest Gump. You remember, "Anyway, like I was saying, shrimp is the fruit of the sea. You can barbecue it, boil it, broil it, bake it, sautee it. There's um shrimp kabobs, shrimp creole, shrimp gumbo, pan-fried, deap-fried, stir-fried. There's pineapple shrimp, lemon shrimp, coconut shrimp, pepper shrimp, shrimp soup, shrimp stew, shrimp salad, shrimp and potatoes, shrimp burgers, shrimp sandwich. That's, that's about it"

With that in mind, I present you tonight's essay: Dijon Swiss Chicken Sammich:

Dijon Swich Chicken Sammich:

What you need:

I'm assuming that you may be cooking for more than one, so this recipe is based on a one-person serving. Adjust accordingly.
One chicken breast
1/2 scallion (green onion)
1/4 lemon
1 slice swiss cheese
1 mushroom
Olive oil
Salt, pepper, dijon mustard, kaiser roll (or other bread)

What to do with it:

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
Spread a bit of olive oil on a baking sheet.
Drizzle a bit of olive oil (1 tsp or less) on top of the chicken, along with the lemon.
Thinly slice your mushroom and place on top of your chicken. Do the same with the scallion.
Sprinkle a bit of salt on top, place a slice of swiss cheese on top of the chicken.
Bake until it's done (time will depend on the type of oven you have, but generally 15-20 minutes, depending on thickness--add more time for more pieces: about 5 minutes each).
While your chicken's cooking, if you can, toast your bread.
When you're finished, add a little pepper to the chicken, put the mustard on your bread and serve.

2 comments:

Luscious Lars Anderson said...

Damn, Son! Ya'll got me straight trippin'!

Thomas Morris said...

I hope in a good way!